A Turkish official said Friday, a month after the murder of Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, that his dismembered body had been disbanded; the journalist’s fiancée called on the international community to try the culprits.
“We see at this point that they did not just dismember him, they got rid of him by dissolving him,” Hürriyet told President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s advisor to the AKP party.
“According to the latest information we have, the reason they cut the body is to dissolve it more easily.
An advisor to Turkish President Yasin Aktay
At a press conference in Washington on Thursday, US State Department spokesman Robert Palladino said, “Mr. Khashoggi’s remains must be recovered and returned to his family for an appropriate burial as soon as possible. possible.
Jamal Khashoggi, a contributor to the Washington Post, was killed on October 2 in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, where he went on paperwork for his marriage to a Turk, Hatice Cengiz.
A month after his death, and despite the efforts of the Turkish authorities, his body, or what would remain, has still not been found.
In a statement released Wednesday, the Istanbul prosecutor’s office said that “the victim was dismembered” and that “we got rid of him”, without specifying how.
After the prosecutor’s statements, an unnamed Turkish official told The Washington Post that the authorities were investigating a track that his body was dissolved in acid at the consulate or the nearby consul’s residence.
After initially stating that Mr. Khashoggi had left the consulate shortly thereafter, and then claimed that he had died in a fight, Riyadh eventually evoked an “unauthorized operation” by the authorities.
His fiancee demands justice
“Today, I call on the international community to take real, serious and concrete steps to bring the truth to light and bring those responsible to justice,” wrote her Turkish fiancee, Cengiz, in a forum published in several media, including the French daily Le Monde .
While several Turkish officials and media have directly blamed Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salmane, said MBS, Riyadh is trying to clear it by insisting on the “unauthorized” nature of the operation.
Cengiz called on the United States, the country in which Khashoggi exiled in 2017, to be “at the forefront of efforts” to bring those responsible to justice.
“The first amendment to their constitution symbolizes the ideals embodied by Jamal,” she says. “However, in the face of this tragedy, the Trump administration has adopted a position devoid of any moral foundation”.
Washington is putting pressure on Riyadh for the case to be cleared up, but seems to give the benefit of the doubt to MBS, a powerful Washington ally in the Middle East.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Thursday that it would take “a few weeks” before the United States has sufficient evidence to impose sanctions on those involved in the assassination.
While emphasizing the “unacceptable” nature of the journalist’s murder, Mr. Pompeo stressed, however, that the US “intended to ensure that [their] relations [with Riyadh] remain intact.”
The latest gruesome revelations about the circumstances surrounding Khashoggi’s murder coincide with UNESCO’s “International Day Against Impunity for Crimes against Journalists”, which was celebrated on Friday.
Since 2006, the UN agency has condemned the killings of 1010 journalists and media professionals. But nine out of ten cases have never been brought to justice, according to a report released Thursday.
Between January 1st and the end of October 2018, UNESCO recorded the killing of 86 journalists.
Kat Irving is a reporter for Tundra Tribune. After graduating from NYU with a master degree in history, Kat got an internship at WABC-TV New York and worked on profiling local businesses. Kat was also was a columnist for the NPR. Kat mostly covers business and community events here at Tundra Tribune