The mysterious discovery of the bodies of two Saudi sisters in a New York river

Suicide, homicide, accident? New York police are investigating the mysterious death of two Saudi sisters whose bodies, tied with tape around the waist and ankles, were found last Sunday on the banks of the Hudson River in New York.

The sisters have been identified as Rotana Farea, 22, and Tala Farea, 16. Both disappeared in August from their residence in Fairfax, Virginia, but their bodies were found 250 miles away.

The women wore black mesh trousers and similar fur jackets . They were declared dead at the scene where they were found, on the banks of the river, police said. There were no obvious signs of trauma. The coroner’s office in the city will determine the cause of death.

Now more details are emerging, although much of the case remains a mystery. The sisters were Saudi citizens and students accompanying their brother in Washington, the Royal Consulate General of Saudi Arabia in New York said on Tuesday.

The forensic team said that it has not yet been possible to establish how they died, but the NYPD reported that the mother of the girls revealed that, shortly before the bodies were found, she received a call from the Saudi authorities.

The Embassy called the mother to inform her that her daughters had applied for asylum in the United States . In that conversation, says the mother, representatives of the embassy in the US ordered that Rotana and Tala should leave the country.

Saudi Arabia’s Consulate said in a statement that it was “closely monitoring with local authorities the investigation” of the deaths of the young women, while saying they were waiting for forensic reports that stressed “have not yet been finalized”.

The photos of the sisters were also released Wednesday by the Police, along with a call to the public to obtain information about them and how their bodies could have ended up in the docks on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

Detectives have been in Virginia, where Tala had been reported missing, Detective Chief Dermot Shea told reporters on Wednesday, quoted by CNN .

Interviews with family members and others have begun to shed light on “what was happening in the lives of the two young women,” but did not reveal details.

The priority of the Police is to try to find clues in Virginia, where they disappeared on August 24, and try to clarify what happened in the two months in which his whereabouts were unknown .

“The work of the detectives has filled many of the pieces, but there are still some gaps that we would like to fill and have a very clear idea of ​​what has happened in the last two months,” the researcher added.

Police sources cited by ABC doubt that the girls were already dead before falling or being thrown into the river.

The girls had arrived in the US from Saudi Arabia in 2015 along with their mother and settled in the state of Virginia, although the police said they left the family residence.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *